If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A super cozy, warming yet fresh and healthy soup, if ever there was one. Earthy lentils, verdant, good-for-you kale, and a little salty hit of bacon -- so good. As ever, I feel a splash of dry sherry enhances a vegetable-based soup, but it is up to you. This depends on using some good stock; I don't always make my own, but ensure I buy a quality one. I used chicken stock for this, but you could use a vegetarian stock and omit the bacon to make this vegan. —Anna May
Food52 Review: This soup may be short on ingredients, but it is NOT short on flavor! I was tempted to add a little of this and a little of that, but it's really not necessary -- the soup stands on its own. I used homemade chicken broth and included the optional dry sherry, which I recommend. The only change I made was in the cooking method to cut down on the fat. I baked the bacon and then used 1 tablespoon of the rendered grease to cook the onions, added them in, then proceeded with the recipe. Soup to soothe the tummy and soul! —anotherfoodieblogger
Serves 2, generously
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 splash dry sherry (optional)
- 1 liter stock (chicken or vegetable; see above)
- 100 grams kale, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves picked
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 100 grams Le Puy green lentils
- Sauté the bacon and onion in the oil until soft. Add the lentils, give them a good stir, then pour in the sherry. Let it sizzle briefly, then pour in the stock and cook until the lentils are done.
- Stir in the kale and thyme leaves and cook for a minute or two, or until the kale is just wilted. Serve with crusty bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup