If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here is a very rich, but flavorful and delicious dish which in a simple way jazzes up Brussels Sprouts. Because of its richness, this side dish is perfect when served alongside something simple off the grill, such as fish or chicken. I especially like this dish and so will you, because you could make it a day or two in advance, simply reheat it, fry the shallots and serve.
This dish was inspired by Anne Burrell’s recipe “Bacon Braised String Beans”, but the final result is a completely different dish. —Kukla
Serves 4 to 6
For Chanterelles and Brussels Sprouts braising
- • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- • A large pinch red pepper flakes
- • About 10-12 oz fresh chanterelles, cleaned and pulled apart into bite-size pieces or any fresh mushrooms of your choice
- • Kosher salt to taste
- • 1 pound small, uniform fresh or frozen, thawed and dried Brussels Sprouts
- • 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, toasted in a small dry skillet and then coarsely ground
- • 1 cup strong homemade or good quality store-bought chicken stock
- • 1fresh small thyme bundle, tied with string
- • 2 bay leaves
- • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- • Gruyere cheese, shredded, for serving (optional)
- • Lemon wedges for serving
- Place 2 tablespoons butter, garlic and red pepper flakes into a cold large skillet and bring to medium heat. Cook until the butter and garlic become light brown and very aromatic. Remove and discard garlic.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and cook until they become soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes; transfer to a 2 1/2 or 3 quarts Dutch oven.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and 1 more tablespoon butter to the same skillet; cook, shaking the skillet often, until the sprouts are evenly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer them also to the Dutch oven.
- Add chicken stock, mustard seeds, thyme bundle, the bay leaves and vinegar. Taste and season with some more salt, if needed, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 40 to 45 minutes. If the liquid reduces too much during the cooking time, add a little water . Remove the lid and cook until almost all of the liquid is reduced. When done, the mushrooms and Brussels sprouts should be very tender and very flavorful. Discard the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Set aside until ready to serve.
For the Crispy Caramelized Shallots (Makes about 2/3 cups)
- • 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (2 very large or 3-4 small shallots)
- • 5 -6 tablespoons neutral oil (canola or vegetable)
- Use your fingers to separate the shallot slices into individual layers, and place them on a paper towel. Gather up the paper towel and gently blot away as much moisture as you can. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and gently fry, stirring occasionally. After 5 to 6 minutes, when the shallot is fragrant and turning light golden, watch the skillet carefully, moving it frequently by stirring or swirling the skillet. Do not worry if during frying, the shallots will soften into a mass, they will stiffen as it caramelizes and crisps.
- In about 10 minutes, when most of the shallot slices are rich golden brown, turn off the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, shaking of as much oil as possible; discard or use the fragrant oil for other uses.
- Spread the shallot out in one layer. When they've cooled, crisped, and slightly darkened, transfer them to a small bowl or plate. If you keep the shallots uncovered at room temperature, they will remain crispy for up to 6-7 hours, but even when not as crispy, they are still very tasty.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with lemon juice, the Crispy Caramelized Shallots, fresh thyme leaves and shredded Gruyere cheese, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side