If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My tasty Caribbean johnny cakes are a must have on the Islands of the blue sea, johnny cakes are one of the most beloved dishes made in my country. This yummy simple dish can be eaten for breakfast or lunch. —Moria T
cups all-purpose flour
tablespoon baking powder
tablespoons room temperature butter
cups vegetable oil for frying
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and work in the butter with your fingers.
- Add 1 cup of water to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Sprinkle some extra flour onto a flat surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Feel free to sprinkle additional flour on the surface as needed.
- Allow the dough to sit in a clean bowl covered with a towel for at least 30 minutes.
- After dough has rested, heat the oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Create small balls of dough and roll out the dough into circles on a lightly-floured surface with a rolling pin or the palm of your hand. Be sure to not make them too thin.
- Pierce each piece with a fork or sharp knife several times and then drop in hot oil.
- Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and drain on paper towel or brown paper bag.