- Makes 18 bites
My favorite thing to eat are appetizers! I can never decide when I go out for lunch or dinner, what to have; so, what better than appetizers to sample different flavors? I have never had Beef Wellington, but I love filet mignon. I am a huge fan of all breads. So what could be better? But wait! I love steaks with compound butters; and, I love accouterments like blue cheese, caramelized onions, mushrooms, wine reductions, and if I were independently wealthy, foie gras, with meat. So as an experiment, I have put together Unbelievable Beef Wellington Bites, kicked up from the traditional recipe and in an appetizer size so my guests and I will have room to eat other things. —Pam
Filet Mignon Steaks
package Puff Pastry Dough
Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Crumbled Blue Cheese
Egg, for egg wash
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In saute pan over medium high heat, add oil. Season filet both sides with salt and pepper. Add filets to pan and sear both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side. When caramelized on both sides. Remove from heat to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While steak is resting, add 2 TBSP butter and shallots to pan. When translucent, add other 2 TBSP butter and mushrooms. Let all the items caramelize and then add port wine and thyme. Simmer over medium low heat until wine has reduced. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Philadelphia Cream Cheese and crumbled blue cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry dough to form a 12" x 12" square. Cut into 4" x 4" squares. You will have 9 squares when done. Repeat process with other puff pastry sheet.
- Now, slice filet into 1/4" strips. Working one dough square at a time, spread cheese mixture on center of dough leaving about 1/2" on the sides. Next, put a teaspoon of shallot/mushroom mixture on top. Then top with a slice of filet. Roll tucking sides under, like making a burrito, making sure to pinch the seams closed. Place seam side down on baking sheet and repeat process to all the squares are complete.
- Brush rolled dough with egg wash and place baking sheet in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.
- Note: These can be made ahead, covered with plastic wrap and placed in the refrigerator. Then when ready, brush with egg wash, bake, and serve.