Author Notes: Sweet and hot, sour and pungent. This light and easy-to-make hors d’oeuvre combines the citrus aroma of clementines with the hotness of a chili pepper, plus mild, pungent fresh thyme and the creamy, tart, and mild sourness of fresh goat cheese. The cheese's sharpness quickly vanishes in the calming freshness and sweetness of the citrus fruit.
It can be served on farmer’s bread bites or baguette slices. It’s an amazing companion to sparkling wine and Sauvignon Blanc.
This recipe was invented on a rainy Sunday afternoon, when I found out I had by mistake bought mandarins instead of oranges. Warning: The jam is highly addictive.
Food52 Review: I really like clementines. (When I was pregnant with my daughter, I ate most of my father-in-law's crop of Satsumas!) But I rarely find a recipe using clementines that tastes as good as the fruit peeled and eaten in segments. THIS IS IT! Clementines are easy to peel, and I scraped off the stringy white stuff with the sharp side of a paring knife, then cut the zest into thin shreds. The jam cooked up quickly and the flavor balance was perfect. It would also pair well with a fresh cream cheese or an aged Gouda. Everyone wished there were more -- double the recipe when you make it! —luvcookbooks
Serves: 4 to 8
mini log goat cheese (110 grams)
pieces medium clementines (or other mandarin oranges)
tablespoon fresh thyme
tablespoons raw cane sugar
medium-sized hot chili pepper
slices farmer's bread
- Wash and pat dry the clementines.
- Shred the clementine peel with a shredder or peeler.
- Squeeze the clementines and pass the juice through a sieve.
- Chop the thyme and the hot chili pepper.
- In a small skillet, add clementine juice and peel, thyme, chili pepper, and sugar, and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let it shimmer for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch into the water, add it to the skillet, and stir. It will take 2 to 3 minutes for the clementine juice to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut the bread slices into bites and the goat cheese into slices.
- Arrange each goat cheese slice on a bit of bread and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the clementine jam on top.