If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves 4-6 people as an entree
for the pesto
- 2 cups basil, packed
- 1 cup arugula, packed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup really good olive oil
for the pasta
- 3/4 pound fusilli or another short pasta
- several tablespoons of sea salt (for the pasta water)
- 1 cup of peas (fresh or frozen, defrosted if they are frozen)
- a couple of handfuls of fresh arugula, chopped
- some parmesan to grate over top
- Make the pesto. Place all of the ingredients, expect for the olive oil, into a food processor. Pulse a few times, then while the food processor is running continuously add in the olive oil in a slow and steady stream until it is emulsified and you have the consistency you like. I find it is usually perfect at around 1/2 cup. Taste and adjust any seasoning accordingly.
- Place your pesto into a small bowl (or an airtight container) and place in the fridge until you're ready to dress the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the package, but be sure to add several tablespoons of salt to the water to season the pasta, and also drain the pasta 1-2 minutes prior to the time recommended on the package to ensure you achieve a more al dente texture.
- Place the cooked pasta into a large serving bowl and toss with the pesto. Add the peas, fresh arugula, and parmesan on top and serve.