If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Barley adds a nutty, hearty flavor with health benefits that make it even better. This soup is both robust and flavorful. —Susan E. Levy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, bite-size pieces
- 2 cups broth from Slow-Cook Chicken or store-bought
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cups hulled or pearled barley
- 2 cups mixed greens (spinach, beet greens or swiss chard), chopped
- ½ teaspoons each salt, pepper and dried thyme
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Sauté onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms until soft; about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and water to onion mixture; bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Stir in chicken and barley.
- Simmer until barley is tender; about 30 minutes for pearled barley, 60 minutes for hulled.
- Stir in mixed greens and seasonings in final 10 minutes of cooking.
- Per serving: 166 calories, 12g protein, 21g carbohydrate, 5g fat (1g sat, 3g mono/poly), 19mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 291mg sodium
- Seasoned Cook Make a double batch and freeze for a quick weeknight dinner. Mushrooms are high in vitamin D and beta-glucans, a fiber that lowers cholesterol Serve with arugula, avocado and orange salad.