Author Notes: I make this often as a side for grilled meats but it can also be an appetizer when cut in smaller pieces or a snack or even lunch/dinner. —inpatskitchen
Makes: 4 side servings
ounces baby spinach leaves(leave the stems on)
cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (shred your own)
cup finely grated Parmesan
large garlic cloves put through a garlic press
tablespoons softened butter
1/4 to 1/2
teaspoons aleppo pepper ( or a dash of cayenne if you don't have aleppo)
12 inch baguette
- Wilt the spinach leaves in a pan with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cool and then squeeze as dry as possible. Chop the leaves and then place them in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cheeses, mayo, garlic, butter and aleppo pepper until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Slice the baguette lengthwise and then cut each half in half again. Divide the spinach mixture over the cut sides of the bread. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the spinach/cheese mixture looks melted and the edges of the bread are just starting to brown a bit.
- NOTE: If making this as an appetizer, just slice the baguette in half, spread the spinach mixture over and then cut in small slices after baking.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens