Author Notes: This recipe for a Chard Wrap with Mushrooms and Lentils is a variation on the vegetable burrito found in Mayumi's Kitchen - a book that has inspired my passion for macrobiotic cuisine. My recipe calls for chard leaves instead of Mayumi's tortilla wraps and uses a mix of vegetables and brown lentils (known as Masoor dal), flavored by the spices of my own South Asian background. The combination of unique Indian flavoring and refined Japanese cooking makes these little wraps and easy and tasteful lunch. —AMuk
- 1 cup brown lentils (Masoor dal), washed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dry-roasted cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 2 teaspoons quality vegetable oil (sesame, sunflower, safflower or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced and stems removed
- 2 teaspoons Shoyu, or to taste
- 4 large chard leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced lengthwise
- Veganaise, and or Dijon mustard
- Coarse sea salt
- Salad spring mix
- Place the lentils in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until soft and water has completely absorbed. Stir in the cumin, coriander and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- As the lentils are cooking, bring 2 inches of water to a boil in the bottom of a second pot with a steamer basket. Add the green beans - washed and trimmed - to the basket. Cover and steam until tender to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes (depending on how crisp or tender you prefer your beans). Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the shitake for 4 to 6 minutes, then add the leek. Add salt or shoyu, and cover. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Place one large chard leaf on a cutting board. With a knife, trace and remove the thick, fibrous portion of the stem (be careful not to tear the leaf!). Overlap the two separate sides of the leaf to create a single surface. Spread the Veganaise, and or Dijon mustard, then fill with the salad, lentils, mushrooms and leeks, and avocado slices. Fold in the sides of the chard leaf, and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens