If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: tunisian spiced wheat berry salad with roasted eggplant & peppers. —aubrey | drum beets
- 3/4 cup hard red wheat berries
- 1 firm medium eggplant
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa spice blend
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- in a medium sauce pan, submerge wheat berries in cold water and let soak for at least 2 hours.
- later, bring wheat berries to a simmer and let cook on low until wheat berries are tender, slightly chewy but not falling apart [cooking time will greatly depend on how long you soak them prior... between 30-60 minutes].
- preheat oven to 425F.
- de-stem peppers, and trim off top and bottom from eggplant and peel outer layer of onion off.
- chop vegetables into small cubes - about the size of a pistachio.
- in a large mixing bowl, first combine spices with salt and oil.
- add all of your chopped vegetables to the bowl, and mix with your hands to coat evenly.
- divide vegetables onto 2 baking sheets, so that there is plenty of room for them to roast and get crisp (if they are piled on top of each other, they will just steam)
- roast until edges are slightly charred and vegetables are fully cooked.
- thoroughly strain wheat berries from water and combine in the large mixing bowl with warm roasted vegetables, lemon, dill and salt, an extra drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe