If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A delicious blend of vegetables, mushrooms and red wine sauce that complements the pappardelle noodles nicely. We adapted this recipe from Cuisine at Home that was made with rabbit. As always, we added our own touch and it's delicious. —Tom and Anita Morgan
- 4 chicken thighs with skin, extra skin and fat trimmed off
- 12 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced medium
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced crosswise into thin circles, fronds saved
- 2 strips bacon, chopped crosswise into 1/2” pieces
- 12-14 ounces pappardelle pasta noodles, cooked and drained
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon demiglace mixed into ½ cup of hot water
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Italian parsley and julienned red Bell pepper for garnish
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper and dredge the cold chicken thoroughly. Reserve at room temperature until needed. Before cooking shake off excess flour mixture.
- In a 12 inch oven proof saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms in the butter and 1 T olive oil until they soften and release their moisture.
- Stir in half of the red wine and saute over medium heat until mostly reduced or absorbed by the mushrooms. Reserve the mushrooms.
- Add the remaining 1 T olive oil to the pan and brown the chicken over medium-high heat then reserve.
- Put the chopped bacon in the pan and saute over medium-low heat until it begins to brown. Add the onion and fennel and continue until they begin to brown. Stir in the garlic, sage and red pepper flakes and continue for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Remove from the heat and add the other half of the red wine, the balsamic vinegar and demiglace and stir in.
- Add back the mushrooms and stir in. Then add back the chicken, cover it with vegetables, cover the pan and put into a warmed 325* F oven for about 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160*F. During the last 10 to 15 minutes that this is cooking, cook the pappardelle noddles in salted and oiled water according to directions on the package. Drain the noodles and shake dry.
- Spoon the pappardelle pasta noodles onto the warmed plates. Spoon the sauce and vegetables onto the noodles then place the chicken on top. Garnish with sprigs of fennel fronds and julienned red bell pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken