If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Great for winter days! Healthy and filling. —Caroline Scriven
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 350 grams shallots
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium swede cut in chunks
- 3 parsnip cut it chunks
- 350 grams carrots in chunks (mixture of diff types is nice)
- 200 grams pearl barley
- 2 leek in chunks
- 225 milliliters white wine
- 800 milliliters vegetable stock from stock pots
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Add shallots and garlic. cook for 5-6 mins until starting to soften -careful not to burn. Add leeks for 5 mins, then stir in swede, parsnips and carrots and continue on low heat for 10 mins.
- Slowly pour in white wine & add barley, cook until wine has reduced by half. Add stock, bay, thyme, and seasoning. Cover pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 mins until barley and veg are tender to your liking. Stir occasionally to stop it sticking to the pot.
- Serve with grated cheese if desired and toasted bread.... French baguette is the best!
- Squash is also a nice addition.