If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: About 5 years ago I studied abroad in the UK where the topic of our tour was the history of football (soccer). While drinking beers and watching games, I became completely taken with the traditional match snack, the hand pie. These are three different fillings to suit your tastes in a mustard flavored savory pie. I used Cream Cheese Pastry Dough from Linda Scala Quinn's book 'Mad Hungry' —Hannah Jeanne
Serves about 6
Filling (Starting with main: Chicken, Salmon, or Vegetarian)
- 1 (Chix) Large Cooked Chicken Breast; broken up into one inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch (Chix) Wilted Mustard Greens; stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 (Chix) Shallots; sliced, sautéed
- 1/2 pound (Fish) Cooked Salmon Fillet; broken up into one inch pieces
- 2 (Fish) Shallots; sliced, sautéed
- 1 cup (Fish) Blanched Asparagus; cut in one inch pieces
- 1 cup (Veg) Sautéed Carrots; cut in ½ inch wheels
- 1/2 bunch (Veg) Wilted Mustard Greens, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 (Veg) Shallots; sliced, sautéed
Sauce (Cream Based or not)
- 1/4 cup (Chix or Fish) Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup (Chix or Fish) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons (Chix or Fish) Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons (Chix or Fish) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (Chix or Fish) Fennel Seeds; crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon (Chix or Fish) Fresh Thyme
- 2 tablespoons (Veg) Stoneground Deli Mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon (Veg) Packed Brown Sugar (Light or Dark)
- 1 teaspoon (Veg) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Beaten Egg; for egg wash
- 1 Recipe of Cream Cheese Pastry Dough per filling
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese; for sprinkling on top
- Reduce chicken broth by half in a hot skillet.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together heavy cream and flour, then dijon mustard, fennel seeds and thyme.
- Slowly whisk the heavy cream mustard mixture in with the reduced chicken broth. Whisk until thickened and set aside.
- Gently mix together chicken, shallots, and mustard greens, OR salmon, asparagus, and shallots, OR carrots, shallots, and mustard greens.
- With either the chicken or salmon version, add the cooled cream sauce. With the vegetarian version, mix in the stoneground mustard, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Set all aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out your dough to a little less than ¼ inch thick, and cut out circles using a cereal bowl and a knife. Place filling of choice in the center, leaving ¾ inch bare along the edge to seal.
- Using your finger, dab some water along the bare inside edge, and then fold pocket in half; crimping closed with a fork. Repeat this process until all dough and filling is used.
- Brush all filled pockets with egg wash, and score a steam vent. Sprinkle each with a bit of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Please allow to rest a few minutes before eating. (Pies freeze very well once cooled to be reheated at a later date.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard