If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wouldn't call myself a particularly together person. Most of the time I'm bordering on what could only be described as mildly unhinged and grasping for answers, but there are two things I know with absolute certainty: 1) bourbon makes everything better and 2) the same can be said of donuts. Emboldened by these dual concrete truths and inspired by a few past their prime bananas, a donut pan and a bottle of our finest barrel aged, I embarked on some EXTREMELY CONFIDENT
baked banana-bourbon donut making.
Plus a little cashew cream cheese frosting composition, for good measure,
and further alliterative hilarity. —Slow Club Cookery
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together ground flax seeds and 3Tbsp boiling water, set aside until thickened and gelatinous, about 5 minutes.
- n a medium bowl, stir together mashed bananas and melted coconut oil. Add sugar, cinnamon, flax egg, vanilla and bourbon, stirring to combine. Add flour and baking soda, stirring until just mixed together. Mix should be evenly moist, but still have visible chunks of banana.
- Spread batter into a well greased donut pan and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown and cake tester inserted into the center of each donut comes out clean.
- Remove baked donuts from pan and place on cooling rack.
Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + water for soaking
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons raw hemp seeds for topping (optional)
- Cover raw cashews with water and soak for 1-3 hours.
- Drain soaked cashews and combine with lemon juice, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Spread frosting onto completely cooled donuts.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds (optional).
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 24 hours or in the fridge for up to 5 days.