Author Notes: This salad is a refreshing meat-free luncheon dish, created for the Bridal Shower of my “little sis.” She liked it so much I reprised it a year later for her baby shower! It benefits from being made a day or two ahead so the flavors can marry, and it’s made of ingredients that are easy to keep on hand. Because there is no mayonnaise in the dressing, it’s also a good choice for summer picnics. —ChefJune
Makes: 8 servings
cups cooked brown rice (flavor the cooking water with 1/2 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence and a pinch of saffron)
scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
green pepper, chopped
can chick peas (garbanzos), well rinsed and dried
ounces marinated artichoke hearts (reserve the marinade)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Add onions and green pepper to the cooked rice.
- Drain chick peas (rinse them well if using canned) and mix them with the rice.
- Drain artichoke hearts, reserving marinade, and cut large ones in half.
- Whisk lemon juice into the marinade. Toss all ingredients together with the dressing.
- Pile the salad into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve. An alternative serving method is to press the salad into an oiled 6-cup ring mold and chill well before serving.
- Teacher’s Tip: If you’d like to embellish this salad with some animal protein, may I suggest tossing in either Rock Shrimp (from Maine) or chunks of cooked crabmeat.
- Wine Tip: A sparkling wine from California or Spain would be a lovely accompaniment to this luncheon entrée.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later