If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For a step-by-step video, try the following link: http://www.farmtotablebabymama.com/quiche-brussels-sprouts-apples-shallots/
Quiche was one of my favorite foods when I was a little girl and a treat that I would look forward to weekly with my Mom. I remember the bakery we used to go to and how upset I was when they were sold out! Now as a Mom, my son loves it too. It’s all good things – eggs, cheese, and loads of veggies.
This quiche is inspired from Chef Susan Loomis and it is incredible!!!! In the spirit of the holidays, one afternoon I recently tried a combination of sweet apples and earthy brussels sprouts. —FTTBabyMama
Easy No-Roll Pie Crust
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons frozen butter, grated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cold milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Add frozen butter and tablespoon of cream cheese.
- With your fingers, combine the ingredients together until the butter is well incorporated into the flour. The dough will come together in a rough, sandy kind of way.
- Pour in the milk and oil. With a fork, make sure the flour mixture is introduced into the liquid.
- Dump the dough into a 9 inch tart pan. Using your fingers, press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides.
- Line the pie crust with foil, weigh down with beans and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans, bake for another 5-6 minutes or until golden.
- Allow pie crust to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 small apples
- 1 pound brussel sprouts, trimmed and de-leafed
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat.
- Throw in shallots, garlic and thyme. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in Brussels sprouts and apples, cook for another 6 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with chicken broth. The filling will be ready when the apples are tender and there is no liquid remaining. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together, eggs, cream, milk and gruyere cheese. Add salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Arrange the filling on the bottom of the crust.
- Pour custard over top and sprinkle additional cheese on top. Bake for 35 minutes. Serve immediately.