Am I the only person who is fascinated with avocado pits? I am likely one of few, but either way--here is a good way to fill their spot. —Droplet
- Serves 5-10
Avocados, ripe, firm and (hopefully) unblemished
1 1/2 tablespoons
allspice berries, freshly ground
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups
cooled cooked rice
crumbled mild Cotija Tajo or Queso Fresco cheese
small ripe pomegranate
finely minced white onion
Chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish
Black olives to serve
In This Recipe
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 325 F.
- Finely chop the dried apricots and add them to the crema along with the freshly minced white onion and the zest of the lime. Set aside.
- Beat the eggwhite to loosen it a bit along with the pinch of salt and the spices. Coat the walnut halves well with the mixture and spread them on parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet. Toast the nuts in the upper half of your oven, stirring every few minutes until crispy, about 10-15 minutes. Keep a very close eye on them rather than a timer. Nibble on a piece every now and then (it will be hot) and when they are crispy but not yet toasted on the inside, turn off the oven and leave them there with the door ajar for an extra 5 minutes.
- Score and seed the pomegranate, preferably while wearing an old shirt, or in a large bowl under water http://food52.com/blog/5524-how-to-eat-pomegranates-the-un-messy-way. If you choose the water method, make sure to drain the arils very well in a mesh sieve and spread them on a paper towel lined dish afterwards to dry completely. Place them in a serving bowl with a spoon. Set aside.
- Take the nuts out of the oven and when they have cooled somewhat, not necessarily all the way, chop them very finely. Gently shake the bowl horizontally and scoop out about 3 tablespoons of the largest pieces that come to the surface.
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pit and brush the exposed flesh with the juice of the squeezed lime all over. Score the cavities in a crosshatch pattern with the tip of a small paring knife, and distribute the remaining lime juice among them.
- Mix the crumbled cotija, the chopped nuts and lastly the rice with the crema mixture. Scoop as generous of a portion as you desire into each avocado cavity and garnish with pomegranate arils, a sprinkle of the reserved chopped walnuts and chopped parsley or cilantro.