If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These sweet muffins taste amazingly similar to the classic sticky buns—plus they’re easy to make and complex in flavor; they’re all about the pecans and vanilla. They’re wonderful as an after-school snack or an indulgent breakfast treat.
—The Weiser Kitchen
Makes 12 muffins
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups pastry or cake flour
- 2 2/3 cups light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 small very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or 1 tablespoon cane syrup plus 1 large, moist vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod set aside (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1 teaspoon homemade bourbon vanilla bean extract, or bourbon
- 1/2 cup vanilla or sweetened almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup almond oil or avocado oil
- 1 cup roughly chopped, unsalted, toasted pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with a spritz of nonstick vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Place the bananas into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or, if you are using a hand mixer, a large bowl. Mix at medium speed until the bananas are mashed and slurry-like. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until each is completely incorporated.
- Add about 1/2 of the the flour mixture into the eggs and bananas and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla paste or cane syrup and vanilla seeds, bourbon vanilla extract or bourbon, milk, vinegar, and oil. Mix until combined.
- Toss the nuts to the remaining flour to coat. Add the nut and flour mixture to the mixing bowl and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix- a few lumps are okay- you want to avoid a tough muffin with tunnels.
- Pour into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.