If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A decadent combination of ground walnuts and coconut flour is perfectly offset with salty crispy bacon and sweet bourbon maple syrup. A combination that is addictively delicious in addition to being full of protein and wholesome ingredients. The mashed banana is used as the sole sweetener in this waffle batter that is also grain-free, gluten-free, & dairy-free. —Andie
Makes 5-6 waffles
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 cups ground walnuts (not packed)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ripe medium sized bananas mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or ghee
- Start by making the bacon. Stack the bacon and then slice crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces. (to make this easier you can place the bacon in the freezer for 20 minutes before slicing).
- Toss the bacon into a large skillet and heat over medium heat. By adding the bacon to the skillet before heating it you lower the chances of scorching and burning the bacon. (thank you too nom-nom-Palo for these perfect directions on how to make crispy bacon lardons)
- Cook the bacon for about 15 until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and let cool. While the bacon is cooling begin mixing the waffle batter.
- In a medium/large bowl combine the dry ingredients: ground walnuts, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and baking soda. Now mix the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl and once mixed well add to the dry ingredients. Thoroughly combine the wet and dry ingredients and then fold in the bacon. The batter will be somewhat thick but don't worry this is the way it is supposed to be.
- Add the batter to the heated waffle iron and let cook until nicely browned. Meanwhile prepare the bourbon maple syrup.
Bourbon Infused Maple Syrup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small pot combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Once boiling reduce the heat to medium/low and allow to simmer 10 minutes. After 10 turn off the heat but leave the pan on the burner to let it continue to reduce and thicken slightly. Drizzle over the waffles and devour.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts