Author Notes: I started out to make maque choux with andouille but the weather was so warm that I decided something chilled would be better for dinner. Corn, andouille, pepper, tomatoes, a little green onion and orzo combine to make this a lovely spicy summer salad. —inpatskitchen
Makes: 6 to 8 side servings
ears raw corn
pound andouille sausage
cup dry orzo
medium plum tomatoes
large green onions
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil( and maybe a little more for finishing)
teaspoon of your favorite Creole/Cajun seasoning(I used Tony Chachere's original) and maybe a little more for finishing
- With a sharp knife, remove the kernels from the ears of corn. I do this in a large bowl so I don't have "flying" kernels. Set that bowl aside.
- Cut the andouille link lengthwise and then, if you like crosswise. On a grill or grill pan, grill the sausage and the poblano pepper until everything is lightly charred.
- Remove the seeds from the poblano and dice finely. Slice the grilled andouille into thin half moons. Add both ingredients to the bowl of corn.
- Cook the orzo per package instructions. Drain and while still hot, stir it into the bowl of corn, andouille and pepper.
- Stir in the olive oil, sprinkle the Cajun/Creole seasoning over and stir again.
- Seed and core the tomatoes and cut into a small dice and then thinly slice the green onions. Stir them into the pasta salad. Cover and chill. When ready to serve, taste for seasoning and or extra olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn