I made a new friend who didn't like vinegar, and after inviting her over for dinner last week, I stood in my kitchen staring at my pantries wondering what the heck I was going to use to make dressing without vinegar that wasn't heavy like ranch. I remembered that a few months ago I bought a bottle of orange blossom water and had never touched it, for lack of thinking of what to use it for. I decided to stray away from the typical greens and veggies salad and create this, splashing it with orange blossom water instead. The result was stellar. (I use Ziyad brand of Orange Blossom Water which I found at a Meijer way out in the Midwest - Check your grocery store's international foods section and any international grocery stores.) —Ashley Marie
- Serves 6
15-16 ounce can cannellini beans
cooked corn kernels
minced sun-dried tomatoes
minced pine nuts
extra virgin olive oil
zest of one lemon
orange blossom water
salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Rinse your cannellini beans well, drain and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add to the bowl your peas and corn (if recently cooked, let them cool before adding).
- Minced up your shallots, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Add them to the bowl too. Toss everything lightly and drizzle with EVOO.
- Zest the lemon right into the bowl.
- Squirt the lemon juice over, tasting after using 1/2 the lemon to see if it needs more - you want the right balance of acidity without being too tart. This is going to depend on the size and ripeness of your lemons.
- You don't need a lot of orange blossom water. Really, just a small splash or two. If you're hesitant, measure out two teaspoons first, toss everything and then taste, adding more a teaspoon at a time.
- Give everything a final toss, add salt and pepper to taste and keep chilled/covered until you're ready to eat it!