If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When summer corn starts flooding markets, these corn fritters are the first seasonal treat we make. In Thailand, these corn cakes are served fresh from street vendors where they are fried up in huge batches. This is our take on this classic street food using pantry ingredients. These are terrific vegetarian appetizers or snacks. You can serve them with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce available in most supermarkets or try them with our simple and authentic chili vinegar dip. —AGIRLANDAPIG
Serves 6 (13-15 fritters)
- 2 ears of corn (2 1/2 cups kernels)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup string beans or chinese long beans, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Chili Vinegar Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Thai chili, sliced
- To make dipping sauce, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in saucepan over medium heat. Stir and remove from heat once sugar and salt dissolved. Add the chili and set aside to cool.
- Remove corn kernels from cobs. Discard cobs. Place corn kernels in food processor. Pulse 5 times just to create a paste where most kernels are whole and some are broken up/smooth.
- Whisk egg with soy sauce in large bowl. Add corn kernel paste, flour, cornmeal, curry paste, and string beans to egg mixture. Mix to combine. The mixture may seem a little thin. That's OK! It'll cook up fine.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot and working in batches, drop golf ball (about 2 tablespoons) sized amount of batter into pan. The batter should flatten out as you drop it. If not, feel free to press the tops of the fritters as they are cooking to form a pattie shape. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Repeat until all of the fritters are cooked. Enjoy with the chili vinegar sauce or with store-bought sweet chili sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn