If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this kale salad was inspired by a salad i used to enjoy after my morning yoga class at the oddfellows cafe in seattle. the cafe made their salad with farro, but i used a mix of hard red wheat berries and whole rye. it's hearty, salty, and delicious! —aubrey | drum beets
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 cup rye berries
- 1 large bunch lacinato kale
- 1 shallot
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch aleppo pepper
- zest of one lemon
- soak wheat & rye berries in several cups of water for at least two hours. strain and place in a small sauce pan with 3-4 cups of water. simmer over low heat, covered, until the grains are tender but not so overcooked that they begin to fall apart. cooking time will depend on how long the grains soak for, but aprox. 30-60 minutes. stir every 10 minutes or so. once cooked fully, strain the grains from the water and place in a bowl to cool.
- to prepare the shallots, peel and thinly slice the shallot and place them in a bowl with a cup of cold water. let soak for at least 5 minutes to remove the bitterness of raw shallots.
- wash, dry and remove stalky parts of the kale. cut into thin ribbons the width of the kale and place chopped kale into a large salad bowl. using your hands, massage the kale just for a minute until the leaves turn a shade darker.
- in a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice, olive oil and honey. add this dressing to the kale, along with the grains and the remaining ingredients. strain the shallots from the soaking water and add these to the salad. toss and adjust seasoning to taste... you may want a bit more salt, or more parmesan or a touch more olive oil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe