If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted a fresh and light salad that could be eaten during the hot months, with ingredients that are seasonal, tasty and appealing.
This salad was created with a Picnic in mind and follows a few considerations like
withstanding travelling, being in moderate cold (cooler) and ease of serving.
Some greens, like lettuce, wilt quickly so I opted for Chinese Cabbage and arugula. Also, I know mayo is not the best option for health security, so I made a fresh orange/ginger vinaigrette.
I'm offering the Rainbow Salad in 3 options: Garden (vegetarian), Land (with chicken and Bacon and Sea (shrimp), so it accommodates everyone's taste.
Serving it as a salad-in-a-jar is just an idea: it's pretty, it's easy to serve, it's clean and re-usable. Choose wide mouth mason jars, they are easier to eat out off.
Don't forget to pack the forks, napkins, nice music and... enjoy the picnic! —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 cups shredded raw carrots
- 1 stalk of celery thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded raw beets
- 2 cups lentils cooked
- 1 cup cooked sweet corn kernels
- 2 1/2 cups thinly cut Chinese cabbage
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup toasted mixed seeds - sesame, sunflower and shelled pumpkin (vegetarian version)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken - grilled or broiled - well done
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups shrimp - boiled - cooked through and cut in pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger - peeled and cut in 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Wash and dry 8 wide mouth mason jars and respective lids. Set aside.
- Put all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a container and blend with a stick blender until well mixed. Set aside in fridge.
- Prepare all the vegetables and put in different bowls.
- Grill the bacon slices until crispy. Put on kitchen paper to absorb extra fat. Cut in small pieces and put in a bowl.
- When you are ready to start your salad, get the jars and start by adding 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
- Then add the cherry tomato halves, dividing the amount by the 8 jars.
- Next add the shredded carrot, sliced celery and shredded beet, doing the same.
- Then add the lentils followed by the sweet corn.
- Garden version: top off with Chinese cabbage, arugula and finish with 1 tsp of toasted seeds.
- Land version: add some shredded chicken (as much or as little as you want) and top off with Chinese cabbage, arugula and top with minced bacon.
- Sea version: add shrimp (as much or as little as you want) and top off with Chinese cabbage and arugula.
- Put in fridge minimum 1 hour. Transport in cooler.
- To serve: Invert for a few seconds so the vinaigrette goes all the way to the greens and shake a little before opening or simply invert on a plate and mix.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe