If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish is modeled after a one we tried and fell in love with at a local restaurant. The original uses their own homemade pineapple vinegar as well as house made chicharrones. Ours is a little different, using pineapple juice and a little cider vinegar instead. —Emily Z
Bag Dried Hominy
cup Pineapple Juice
cup Olive Oil
cup Apple Cider Vinegar
cups Fresh Spinach Leaves
1 small bag
Chicharrones (Pork Rinds) optional
Salt and Pepper
- Rinse off hominy, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain the liquid from the hominy and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and let cook about an hour. Keep an eye on the water, adding a little more as necessary to keep your hominy simmering.
- The hominy will begin to expand and eventually, one by one the kernels will begin to explode. When this happens, drain any excess liquid and add the pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is almost gone. Taste the hominy for, adding a little salt and pepper. (If using pork rinds, they can be salty so go lightly on the salt at this point.
- Remove from heat and add in the spinach, letting it wilt slightly.
- Top with crumbled pork rinds.