If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had never used or even eaten duck before I learned that it was a required ingredient in a contest I had entered. So I set out on a quest to eat and cook with as much duck as possible before contest day. And this is one of the recipes that came out of that quest. —Jodi Taffel
Makes 6 burgers
FOR THE BURGERS
- 5 duck breasts
- 1/2 pound hardwood smoked bacon
- 3 large shallots
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- canola oil for brushing on the grill
- 6 brioche buns
- 6 teaspoons mayonaise
- 6 tablespoons prepared chicken liver, truffle pate.
- 6 tablespoons ginger, peach chutney
- Set the grill to medium high. Cube duck breasts and add to a food processor with the bacon. Pulse until it resembles ground meat.
- Peel and quarter the shallots.
- Switch duck mixture from the food processor to a mixing bowl and add the shallots, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, cracked black pepper and minced garlic. Mix gently, just until it all incorporates.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties
- Brush the grill with canola oil and grill the patties for 4 minutes on each side.
- During the last minute, brush the insides of the buns with 1/2 teaspoon of mayonnaise per side and place on the grill; cut side down, until lightly toasted.
For Spicy Deep Fried Duck Skin Cracklings and Ginger Peach Chutney
- FOR THE CRACKLINGS
- The skin from the 5 duck breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 quart duck fat
- FOR CHUTNEY
- 1 firm, fresh peach
- 1 tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Gewürztraminer wine
- 1 teaspoon grated, fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- FOR THE CRACKLINGS: Place a saucepan on the stove over medium high heat add the duck fat. Using a candy thermometer, heat to 370 degrees.
- Remove the skin from the duck breasts and cut it into strips. Put the strips in a bowl with all the cracklings spices and toss to coat.
- When the duck fat comes up to temperature, add the skin strips and fry until golden brown. (5 minutes). Remove to a paper towel and set aside.
- FOR THE CHUTNEY: Peel, core and coarsely chop the peach.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover; bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until peaches are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover; simmer over medium-high heat until chutney thickens, 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to build the burgers.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE BURGERS: Spread 1 tablespoon of the chutney on each of the bottom buns. Lay one duck burger on top. Toss the arugula in the balsamic vinegar and lay 1/6 of it on top of each duck burger. Lay 1/6 of the duck skin cracklings on top of each nest of arugula. Spread 1 tablespoon of pate on each top bun and place on top of the arugula. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Burger Recipe