If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious salad just screams “Summer!” to me. A smaller version of this salad is a great starter for any summer meal, while a larger version makes for a very satisfying entrée. Served either way, it pairs fabulously with a cool, crisp white wine and a warm, sunny day. —Diane Fluin
Lox and Avocado Salad
- 4 ounces raw salmon/lox/gravlax (smoked or cured)
- 2 avocadoes, halved, peeled and sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 shot sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, tarragon, parsley) (optional)
- 2 cups fresh salad greens
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, tarragon, parsley) (optional)
- Sauté shallot in 1 T of olive oil until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together the lime juice, vinegar and the rest of the olive oil, and then add the softened shallot. Stir in the sugar, salt, pepper, and herbs, and set aside to cool.
- Disassemble the salmon a little by peeling apart the thin slices. When the marinade is cooled a bit, completely cover each side of the salmon with the cooled marinade. Let sit 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Make the lemon vinaigrette dressing by combining all ingredients in a small jar and shaking well to blend. Shake again just before serving.
- Place some lettuce on each plate/bowl, arrange the avocado slices around the outside, and then drizzle with lemon vinaigrette dressing. (Alternatively, the leftover marinade could be used as the salad dressing.)
- Place the salmon on top, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados