If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These potatoes are not for the faint of heart, or, for that matter, anyone on a diet. Smashed Yukon gold potatoes are bound together with cream cheese, sour cream and butter with rich, luxuriant results, while grated onion, garlic and Cheddar cheese add extra oomph in flavor. I prefer to leave the skin on the potatoes for its toothsome appeal that compliments the smashed texture of the potatoes. —TasteFood
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 small yellow onion, grated, with juices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 3 quart baking or gratin pan.
- Quarter potatoes. Place in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pot.
- Smash potatoes with a potato masher. Add cream cheese and continue to smash potatoes until cream cheese is incorporated. Add sour cream and butter and mix to combine well with a wooden spoon. Add onion and garlic. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer potatoes to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake until heated through and top is golden, about 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes