Author Notes: A savory twist on the classic melon ball salad. Avocado and Melon balls topped with bacon and a mildly spicy vinaigrette, it's sure to be a hit at your next summer cookout. —Emily | Truefood
cup olive oil
tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
serrano pepper, seeds and veins removed, sliced thin
large shallot, sliced thin
Salt and pepper to taste
Avocado Melon Salad
ripe hass avocados
large ripe honeydew melon
slices thick-cut bacon, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Whisk oil, lime juice, shallot, and serrano pepper until well mixed. Stir in salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium and once hot, fry the bacon until brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon from the pan and let cool on a clean, cloth towel.
- Slice the honeydew in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Using a melon baller, press down firmly into the honeydew and twist to scoop out melon balls. Place the melon balls into a bowl and continue until you’ve scooped out the whole honeydew. Note: Stop here if making ahead of time and place ingredients in the fridge until ready to continue.
- Slice the avocados lengthwise and remove the pit. Using the melon baller, with a little less pressure, twist and scoop the avocado from their skins. Place the avocado balls in a separate bowl from the melon.
- Pour the serrano shallot mixture through a mesh strainer to separate it from the vinaigrette. If you prefer more heat you can leave some of the serrano pepper mixture in the vinaigrette.
- Toss the honeydew with the cooled bacon pieces and strained lime-serrano vinaigrette. Fold in the avocado carefully, so that it does not break apart. Place in a large bowl or platter and serve immediately.