If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is equally good eaten warm or chilled, it filled with fresh chard from the garden, puy lentils and pot barley to keep you full —Sarah Shermann
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 cup Puy Lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup Pot Barley
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 2 bunches Swiss Chard, stalks cut off leaves torn into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the Ghee over medium-high, add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened and browned, 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, thyme and celery, stir to combine.
- Add the lentils and pot barely, 5 cups of stock, and tinned tomatoes with their juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 25 minutes
- Add chard leaves, season with salt and pepper, cook till chard is tender around 20 minutes
- Serve warm with crusty bread or cold
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup