If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Go ahead and save this recipe now, because you’re going to want to make this bright, gorgeously fresh recipe from Seamus Mullen, owner of Tertulia and El Comado, all summer long. Simply shave raw summer squash and radishes on a mandolin, whisk together a quick, citrusy vinaigrette, shower with grated Manchego, and finish with handfuls of basil and mint.
You can use standard squash such as zucchini and crookneck in this recipe, but it’s even more beautiful with a mix of colors and shapes, from sunny yellow pattypans to ridged Romanescos to the perfectly round, aptly named eight-ball. Some farmers grow horseradish root, which grows straight and deep and has wonderful heat when grated fresh, but if you can’t find it for this dressing, prepared horseradish works just fine. —GrowNYC
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed summer squash and zucchini, of various shapes, sizes, and varities
- 1 peeled shallot
- 1 bunch mixed radishes, green stems removed, cleaned
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested, to make 2 teaspoons zest and 4 tablespoons juice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or sweet white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn into small pieces
- 2 ounces finely grated Manchego cheese, about 1 cup
- Set a mandolin on the thinnest setting. Slice the squash, shallot, and radishes crosswise into thin coins. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and toss gently to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. While whisking, steadily drizzle in the olive oil to form a vinaigrette.
- Add the lemon vinaigrette to the squash mixture and toss gently. Finish the salad with lemon zest, horseradish, basil and mint, a generous sprinkle of grated cheese, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss to combine and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!