If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mushrooms and heavy cream is a time-tested formula for success. Add Swiss chard to the equation, and you end up with a new yet familiar combination. The sauce complements the earthy flavor of the vegetables and contributes richness and substance. It’s heavenly on its own, or a perfect side for roasted meats. Nestle it into a single-serve cast iron dish and bake with eggs and you’ve got a hearty breakfast for one. Enjoy! —Feed Me Dearly
- 1 Large bunch swiss chard
- 1 large handful of mixed mushrooms (e.g. shitakes, button)
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 cup to ½ cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- A touch of nutmeg
- Clean and dry the Swiss chard and remove the leaves from the stems (make sure to keep the stems)
- Clean a large handful of mixed mushrooms and then roughly chop them.
- To a large sautee pan on medium heat, add a few tablespoons of olive oil and 5-6 chopped Swiss Chard stems + 1 small red onion, diced.
- Season with salt and pepper and sautee, stirring every once in a while, for 10 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Next, sautee the mushrooms in a few 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until golden brown. Add these to the chard mixture.
- While you’re cooking the vegetables, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and blanch the chard greens, then run under cool water for a minute to set the color.
- Heat the vegetables in the pan, and then when warm, add anywhere between ¼ to ½ cup of heavy cream, depending on how creamy you’d like the chard to be.
- Grate a touch of nutmeg to the dish and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the cream has thickened.
- Serve on its own, or spoon some into a cast iron dish, make two indentations in the chard, and then crack two eggs into it. Season and broil for 4-5 minutes until set.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side