If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had an extra surplus of beets from the farmers' market and wanted to make something a little different from the norm. These beets are stuffed with beet greens, hot italian sausage, garlic, and shallots and are topped with a tangy blue cheese dressing for a layer of texture. —Mary Catherine Tee
For the Beets:
- 6 large beets
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2 cups beet greens, choppped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 pound hot italian sausage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim roots and stems from the beets. Reserve beet greens for later use.
- Toss whole beets with olive oil and season with salt. Wrap each one individually with tin foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beets are soft to the touch. Once cooked, remove foil covered beets from oven and let cool, still wrapped. Once cool enough to handle, unwrap and using your thumb. run your thumbnail under to skin of the beet and peel the skins from each one.
- Using a spoon, create a cup by scooping out the centers and around the walls of the beet until the walls are about 1/4 inch thick. Don't throw away your pulp! It can be used in smoothies or as a puree later.
- Over medium heat, brown italian sausage in a skillet, breaking apart any large pieces with a spoon. When the sausage looks like it's halfway cooked, add minced garlic and shallots and stir to coat. Cook until translucent.
- Add chopped greens to the skillet, stirring to coat with the sausage drippings. Cook until greens have wilted slightly, about 3 minutes. If it looks like you need more fat, add some olive oil to the pan.
- Remove sausage and greens mixture from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Stuff beets with sausage and greens mixture. Place in the oven to warm through.
- Once beets have warmed through, top with a generous dollop of blue cheese dressing (recipe below)
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pressed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together the greek yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, and spices in a mixing bowl. Fold blue cheese into mixture.
- The longer it sits, the more flavorful it will become.