Spinach Pie (spanakopita)
by: Lena Grp
November 19, 2014
- Makes 25 pieces
The traditional Greek Spanakopita —Lena Grp
What You'll Need
- for filling
fresh spinach (we can also use 3 &1/2 pounds frozen spinach)
medium onion chopped
crumbled feta cheese
nutmeg, salt, black pepper
6 - 9
thick phyllo dough sheets (should be about 2 inches bigger, around your baking pan).
plus olive oil for brushing
- for dough (in case you want to make your own phyllo dough)
plus 2 cups all purpose flour
2 - 2,5 cups
- INSTRUCTIONS for phyllo dough
- In a big bowl put the half flour, salt, olive oil, vinegar and the half of warm water. Stir until forms soft dough, then knead and add little by little the remaining flour and water. The dough should be silky, pliant, and smooth. Cover and let it rest at room temperature at least 30 minutes before using. Divide the dough into 9 or 6 equal parts. Using a rolling pin make the phyllo sheets and use each one immediately.
- INSTRUCTIONS for filling
- Clean vegetables very well. Chop them.
- Grab a small amount of spinach put it in a strainer and rub the leaves to wilt. Continue until you finish the spinach. Press firmly spinach to drain any remaining liquids and let it sit for 30 minutes in the strainer.
- However, for our convenience: Steam the spinach, put it in a strainer press it and let it drain very well.
- In a shallow wide saucepan sauté chopped onion, leeks and scallions with 1/2 cup olive oil over medium/ high heat.
- Add spinach and continue sauté. Reduce heat to low/medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped dill, salt (watch out, because we’ve already seasoned the spinach, may not needed more salt), pepper and nutmeg and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Add eggs and stir. Add crumbled feta cheese and stir again.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Oil a baking pan and lay 3 phyllo sheets brushing with olive oil (about a tablespoon) each one.
- Spread the half of filling.
- Lay other 3 phyllo sheets brushing them too.
- Spread the remaining filling.
- Lay the last 3 phyllo sheets always brushing each one with olive oil *.
- Cut the pie into pieces. Bake for about an hour until it becomes golden.
- * We also can use 2+2+2 phyllo sheets or 3 sheets to the bottom and 3 on top.
See what other Food52ers are saying.