If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After the leftovers from the holidays have cleared out of the fridge, you'll want something light yet comforting. This soup is a stracciatella with spinach, sans egg yolks—quick and easy! —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This soup is the perfect quick, light meal—it really could not be easier to put together, and it's light, healthful, and delicious. The nutmeg and garlic infusion lifts the broth above the ordinary, and the Parmesan egg whites add just enough body to make it satisfying. I took liberties and added a squeeze of Meyer lemon juice at the end. Bonus: 3 egg yolks left over are the perfect excuse to make pudding! —The Editors
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 4 gratings nutmeg with a microplane
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup very finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 3 egg whites from extra large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crack the garlic cloves, but keep them whole and intact. Combine the garlic, chicken broth, and nutmeg in a medium soup pot with a lid. Bring to a boil and then simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pot, letting the broth steep for a minimum of 30 minutes (or make it early and let it steep all day).
- When ready to serve, fish out the garlic cloves and bring the broth back up to a boil. Stir in the chopped spinach leaves and continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Combine the egg whites and Parmesan cheese in a spouted cup, then pour it into the simmering soup, stirring all the while. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with more grated Parmesan.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites