If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The best curry rice I have ever eaten is at Hanamaru in my hometown, made by Miyako it is amazing, I can’t quite get mine as good as hers…but when the craving hits this is the next best thing. —Alexandra V. Jones
Food52 Review: This dish is really tasty and slightly sweet -- but not too much so. I used bonelss short ribs as the meat, and enjoyed it; I sliced it really thin and let it cook through mostly before adding the rest of the ingredients. —thehappycook
- 2 Potatoes, I used yukons, russets work, medium dice
- 2 carrots, medium dice
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, tough outer leaves removed, cleaned, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch, piece of ginger, peeled, grated
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon madras curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound meat or tofu, I used country style pork ribs because they have great marbling, sliced
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 tablespoon garam masala or curry powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat, add onions, leeks, and garlic, cook down 15 minutes or so until golden, add meat or tofu, and ginger, cook 3 minutes or until ginger becomes fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes to 30 minutes until carrots are fork tender.
- While your meat and veg simmer prepare roux by melting butter in a small saucepan, add flour, garam masala or curry. Cook 10 minutes over medium low heat, add tomato paste and hoisin, cook five more minutes, then add a ladle of broth from simmering pan, stir until it becomes a paste then add roux to pot, stir well until thick and bubbly. Serve with short grain rice or starch of choice.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0