If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The flavour in this simple dish is deliciously varied, as the bold goat cheese and strong asparagus mix with the light pine nuts and standout taste of freshly squeezed lemon. This dish is deceptively light tasting and will have you coming back for seconds. —Mealime
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 packet chives
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 lemon
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 6 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover, add 1 tbsp salt and pasta, and stir for a few seconds. Cook until desired firmness, 8-10 minutes.
- Wash asparagus, snap off woody ends, and cut diagonally into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces. Add to pasta during the final 2-3 minutes of cooking time. Boil until bright green and tender-crisp.
- Wash lemon and grate 1 tsp of zest. Wash and chop chives into small pieces.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add butter to saucepan and let it melt. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Add broth and, stirring constantly, cook until sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes.
- Add zest, lemon juice, goat cheese, ½ of the chives (save the rest for garnishing), and salt. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta and asparagus and return to saucepan.
- Add sauce to pasta and toss.
- Cut remaining ½ lemon into wedges.
- To serve, place pasta in a bowl or on a plate. Garnish with pine nuts, remaining chives, freshly ground pepper, and lemon wedges. Enjoy!