If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hakka noodles are very popular Chinese and Indian dishes. As a child growing up in Calcutta, India, I ate them all the time. For this variation, I added jerk-seasoned chicken (the recipe was given to me by my daughter's babysitter), which marries so well with the Indo-Chinese spiced Hakka noodles. It's full of fun and flavor. —Shalini Singh @ Shalini's Kitchen
For the jerk chicken:
- 6 scallions
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the chicken thighs until it forms a thick purée.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix until the chicken is well-covered with marinade. Set aside.
For the jerk chicken Hakka noodles:
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 10 ounces cooked Chinese noodles or egg noodles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as needed
- In a large wok over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil and the black pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, onion, red pepper, and scallions and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables soften.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, Sriracha, ginger, and garlic. Set aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove them from the heat and transfer them to a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil into the wok and add the jerk spice chicken and pan-fry for about 8 to 10 minutes or until done.
- Add in the vegetables, vinegar-ketchup sauce, and noodles and stir to thoroughly coat.
- Check for salt and add as needed.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles