If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I crave fresh and zesty salads with lots of color, green especially, and this bowl is just that. I would almost refer to this as a lazy man's curry, as it has all the flavor punch of a good bowl of curry, but comes together with minimal effort. The dressing is loaded with a strong ginger hit, nicely rounded out by the creamy coconut and fresh lemongrass. This bowl can be made in no time for a quick and easy weeknight meal, but it can also be served to hungry guests at your next dinner party. Cheers to ginger! —Jodi Kay ⎮ happy hearted kitchen
Serves 2 to 4
For the quinoa and broccoli bowl:
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 head broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup large coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- One 2-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- In a metal sieve, rinse the quinoa under cold water for about 30 seconds. In a medium pot, add the rinsed quinoa, coconut milk, and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until quinoa has increased in sized and absorbed most of the water. Remove from heat and let sit with the lid on for another 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Lightly steam the broccoli in a double boiler until just tender and vibrant green, no more than 5 minutes once the water boils, then rinse under cold water so it retains its color and texture.
- Divide the coconut quinoa evenly between 2 to 4 bowls. Add the warm broccoli on top and top with snow peas, spring onion, toasted coconut flakes, and sesame seeds.
- To make the dressing, remove the woody outer layer of the lemongrass and trim off the tough ends. Bash the stalk to release some flavor, then give it a rough chop. Place lemongrass, fresh ginger, brown rice syrup, lime juice, and oil in a small blender and combine until smooth. Add a teaspoon or two of water to help the process along, as needed.
- Serve the dressing over the quinoa bowl.