If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Having seen photos of ham & cheese puff pastry squares I decided to have fun with fresh garden peppers; I love Chile Relleno and this recipe is a tart I put together using puff pastry. —lapadia
Serves makes one tart
1 package (2 sheets) Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, defrosted but still cold
1 large egg, beaten to use as your egg wash
Thick and chunky salsa on hand – your favorite
10 medium size roasted and peeled Poblano peppers - NOTE: I have also used Anaheim peppers for this tart
8 ounce package of a grated Mexican cheese mixture
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry, do not unfold, on a lightly floured surface. Roll out with a rolling pin until the sheet is increased into a rectangle – about 13 x 9 inches. Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush pastry, from edge to edge with egg wash. Spread a layer of salsa over top of the egg wash, leaving 1/2-inch of space between the salsa and the edges of pastry.
- Split open 4-5 poblano peppers and lay them across the sauced pastry - use however many of the first 4 to 5 peppers you can fit.
- Top the peppers with a layer of grated cheese and then dot with salsa. Open up the last 4-5 poblanos, place over top of the first layer, dot more salsa over each pepper and add same amount of each cheese.
- Roll out the second piece of puff pastry and place it over the top of your salsa, cheese and pepper layers.
- Press the edges together with your fingers and gently fold 1/2-inch of the edges up to create a rim for the tart. Press with the tines of a fork. Dip the fork in flour if the fork sticks to the puff pastry during pressing.
- Brush with egg wash from edge to edge. Use a fork to poke venting holes through the top pastry.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown, add a sprinkle of cheese, optional, and bake 5 more minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer