Author Notes: Having seen photos of ham & cheese puff pastry squares I decided to have fun with fresh garden peppers; I love Chile Relleno and this recipe is a tart I put together using puff pastry. —lapadia
Serves: makes one tart
1 package (2 sheets) Pepperidge Farm puff pastry, defrosted but still cold
1 large egg, beaten to use as your egg wash
Thick and chunky salsa on hand – your favorite
10 medium size roasted and peeled Poblano peppers - NOTE: I have also used Anaheim peppers for this tart
8 ounce package of a grated Mexican cheese mixture
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry, do not unfold, on a lightly floured surface. Roll out with a rolling pin until the sheet is increased into a rectangle – about 13 x 9 inches. Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush pastry, from edge to edge with egg wash. Spread a layer of salsa over top of the egg wash, leaving 1/2-inch of space between the salsa and the edges of pastry.
- Split open 4-5 poblano peppers and lay them across the sauced pastry - use however many of the first 4 to 5 peppers you can fit.
- Top the peppers with a layer of grated cheese and then dot with salsa. Open up the last 4-5 poblanos, place over top of the first layer, dot more salsa over each pepper and add same amount of each cheese.
- Roll out the second piece of puff pastry and place it over the top of your salsa, cheese and pepper layers.
- Press the edges together with your fingers and gently fold 1/2-inch of the edges up to create a rim for the tart. Press with the tines of a fork. Dip the fork in flour if the fork sticks to the puff pastry during pressing.
- Brush with egg wash from edge to edge. Use a fork to poke venting holes through the top pastry.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown, add a sprinkle of cheese, optional, and bake 5 more minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer