Author Notes: Categories: Quick and Easy, Kids* eliminate chilli, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free This is the simplest and quickest Italian pasta dish. It can be made out of cupboard at the last minute when an impromptu dish is required.
To see step-by-step illustrated instructions, please go to this page:
http://www.livingalifeincolour.com/recipes/spaghetti-aglio-olio-e-peperoncino-spaghetti-with-garlic-chilli-oil-campania/ —woo wei-duan
milliliters extra virgin olive oil
cloves of garlic, smashed or finely chopped if you like the taste of garlic
chilli whole or broken up if you prefer more spice
grams Italian flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring to a boil 7 litres of water in a large pot and add 70 grams of sea salt. Boil the spaghetti. Do not add oil to the water.
- While the pasta is cooking heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is warm, turn the heat off and add the oil, garlic and chilli.
- When the garlic has coloured, remove the garlic and chilli (if preferred). Let the oil cool a bit so the pasta does not fry.
- When your pasta is 1 minute before being al dente (1-2 minutes before the timing on the package), remove the pasta, drain it from the water and add to the flavoured oil. Turn the heat on low, stir the parsley into the oil, and then add the drained pasta (do not rinse the pasta before adding). The pasta should not make a sizzling sound or it is frying, if this happens add a spoonful or two of the pasta water while stirring to allow the pasta to absorb the oil. Since the pasta is slightly under al dente, it should absorb some of the oil.
- When finished, divide into 4 pasta plates, sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper and serve.