This recipe features baby spinach that's brightened-up with artichoke hearts and sun dried and is served with a tenderized chicken breast. A complete yet easy meal that's light and flavorful. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 chicken breasts)
14 oz can artichoke hearts
diced yellow onions
plus 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
plus 2 tsp olive oil
low-sodium chicken broth
In This Recipe
1. To begin, you will be making a spinach “pesto.” In a food processor combine your spinach, garlic, 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of chicken broth until your spinach is a medium chop.
2. Mix 1/2 C parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp black pepper in with your spinach “pesto,” and then set aside.
3. Prep your chicken by cutting it in half through the middle and then cutting it into quarters. Next, tenderize using the smooth side of a mallet. If you do this your should end up with chicken that’s tender. Note that the below picture shows what 1 chicken breast will look like after it’s prepped.
4. After you have cut and tenderized your chicken, heat your skillet and 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the oil is nice and hot, but not smoking. Add your chicken to the pan and cook 3 minutes on the first side, and then flip and cook 2 minutes on the second side. By cooking your thin pieces of chicken on a medium high heat they will brown, cook through, and remain juicy on the inside. Once cooked, set your meat aside on a plate and cover with tin foil.
5. Add your onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, or until your onions are soft. While your onions are cooking, roughly chop your artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes.
6. Once your onions are soft, add your spinach “pesto,” artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomatoes to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes until everything is heated through.
7. Turn your heat to medium-low, add your chicken, and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 C of parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the parm begins to melt.
8. Now you’re ready to serve! Serve as-is from the pan, or with a favorite pasta or rice.