If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came home from the holiday break and after schlepping suitcases and presents across three states, I am in serious purge mode. To that end, I'm going to do a series of 'clean out your pantry' recipes starting with this one. How many mostly filled packages of grains, lentils and dried beans do I have?! Too many! If you don't have split peas in your cupboard, sub lentils. Bonus nutrition...one burger is "High In" Vitamin A and Fiber, and it's also "Low In" fat and saturated fat. —Vegetarianized.com
- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- 1/4 cup dried barley
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 burger buns
- n a small pot over medium heat, toast split peas and barley for 1-2 minutes. Then add stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, salt, sugar and 2 cups water in a medium bowl until everything is dissolved. Add onion slices and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté grated carrot in EVOO until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Cook 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add split pea-barley mixture, carrot-spice mixture, breadcrumbs, parsley and egg and mix well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Form into four patties and sauté in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- To assemble, add burger to bun, top with drained pickled onions, and any other favorite condiments.