If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy, spring-y broccoli rabe risotto with sharp, aged cheese and crunch pepitas. Vegetarian adaptable! —Chrissy
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1 head broccoli rabe
- 2 ounces sharp, aged cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup roasted pepitas
- 1 teaspoon Cholula hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- roasted pumpkin seed oil, to garnish
- In a deep pot, heat the stock over medium low heat.
- In a large, somewhat deep skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and to pan and cook to soften 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the rice.
- Cook the rice for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the wine and add in the hot stock, about 1 cup at a time, and stir for a minute with each addition, to develop the starch and the creamy aspect. Total cooking time will be about 18 minutes or so. Keep adding stock each time the pan starts to become dry at the edges.
- Meanwhile as the rice does its thing, in a large pot, bring some water to a boil. Quickly drop the rabe in for few minutes to get tender, and then immediately place in another bowl full of cold water. Shake dry and remove the steps, keeping the leafy greens. You should get about 1 cup.
- Place this into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until broken up into a semi-smooth mixture.
- When rice is cooked to al dente, where it just as a bit of a bite, stir in the broccoli rabe, the cheese, pepitas, Cholula and red chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately and drizzle with pumpkin seed oil to garnish.