If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is what I crave in the spring, as soon as asparagus crops up at the farmers' market. It's bright and citrusy with lemon vinaigrette and fresh herbs, and the pistachios and shaved Parmesan round it out with a level of earthiness. In my first version of this recipe, which I posted on my old blog a few years ago (http://www.anunstilllife.com/2013/05/raw-asparagus-salad-with-parsley-and.html), I kept it super-simple with just parsley, but here I toss in some tarragon, too, which adds a little more bite and a hint of anise flavor. —Peggy Paul Casella
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off and discarded
- 1.75 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 2/3 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, toasted in a dry skillet
- 4 ounces high-quality Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, and shallot. Stream in the oil, whisking constantly, until it is fully incorporated. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Lay the asparagus flat on a large cutting board and slice them thinly on the diagonal, working with a few stalks at a time.
- Transfer the sliced asparagus to a large serving bowl, add the parsley, tarragon, and pistachios, and pour the lemon vinaigrette over top. Toss well and top with the shaved Parmesan right before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad