If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spice up the crunchy cornbread waffle recipe from King Arthur Flour with the toppings for elote (Mexican grilled corn): hot sauce spiked mayonnaise, cotija cheese, chili powder, and a squeeze of lime. —Joy Huang | The Cooking of Joy
Makes about 10 waffles
For the cornbread waffles
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the elote toppings
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Your favorite hot sauce (I like sriracha, but any would work)
- 1 cup crumbled cotija (or feta if you can't find cotija) cheese
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter or oil. In a separate bowl, blend together the dry ingredients, then quickly and gently combine the wet and dry ingredients. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes, to allow the cornmeal to soften.
- In the meantime, mix the mayo, minced garlic, and lime juice together. Add cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika, and hot sauce (if using) to taste.
- Drop the batter by 1/3-cupfuls onto a hot waffle iron and bake until the waffle iron stops steaming. Top with the spicy mayonnaise and crumbled cheese. Sprinkle on more cayenne pepper and/or chile powder as desired, and serve with lime wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe