I'm mildly obsessed with roasted cauliflower these days and I am always looking for gluten-free meal options. From that this risotto was born. The almonds add a nice crunch and the lemon is incredibly refreshing.
I'm mildly obsessed with roasted cauliflower these days and I am always looking for gluten-free meal options. From that this risotto was born. The almonds add a nice crunch and the lemon is incredibly refreshing.—Jaxmccaff
head of cauliflower
cloves of garlic
tablespoons grapeseed oil
teaspoon sea salt
cups vegetable broth
large shallot, minced
cups sliced or slivered almonds
sprigs sage, chopped
cup arborio rice
cup dry white wine, I used a buttery chardonay
cup vegan or regular parmesan cheese
splash lemon juice
- Trim cauliflower; cut into bite sized florets. In large bowl, toss together cauliflower, garlic, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the oil and 1/4 tsp of the salt. Roast on baking sheet in 400°F (200°C) oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the almonds and chopped sage to the cauliflower in the oven. Roast for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven and mash garlic cloves with a fork.
- While cauliflower mix is roasting, heat broth plus 1 cup water to boil. Keep simmering.
- In a large saute pan, add remaining oil over medium heat. Add shallots and remaining salt and saute about 3 minutes or until brown. Add rice.
- Toast the rice until is becomes opaque. Add wine and stir until it is fully absorbed.
- 1/2 cup at a time, add broth to the rice. Stir continuously until the liquid is absorbed and then repeat. Continue this process (about 20 minutes) until the rice is tender but not mushy.
- Once rice is cooked, add parmesan and cauliflower mixture. Stir to blend. Squeeze lemon overtop and serve.