If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: At my house it's all about the sauce. For dinner we usually end up eating something simple, like a grain bowl with greens and some protein. This creamy, dairy free sauce is a great way to use plentiful Summer basil in a context other than pesto. Most often I put it in noodle bowls with a protein and toasted sesame, over eggs & biscuits, or over fresh green salads. I even use it as a sandwich spread! —RENEE
Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup packed basil (up to 1 cup if you want intense basil flavor!)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (or maple syrup if vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4-1/2 cups water
- salt to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
- In a high powered blender, combine the basil, tahini, olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey/maple syrup, black pepper, cayenne, and ¼ cup water.
- Blend on high until you have a smooth, creamy sauce.
- Add up to ¼ cup more water (blending again to incorporate) until you get the thickness you like. Less water = thicker consistency (great as a sandwich spread). More water = thinner consistency (better as a sauce or dressing). Add salt, to taste. Voila!
- Can be made ahead and stored in the fridge, covered, up to 24 hours. Color is best when used immediately.