If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a light and refreshing salad that pairs well with barbecued meats on a hot summer day. The sweetness of the watermelon and the bitterness of the arugula is highlighted by the tartness of the pickled onions. All is tossed with a light, crowd-pleasing vinaigrette. —Dee
Food52 Review: This salad is addictive! Each bite has the sweetness from the watermelon, a briny pop from the pickled onions and feta, and a peppery boost from the lightly dressed arugula. The vinaigrette is just right for this salad and pulls all of the flavors together. The recipe claims to serve 8, but I ate two servings while testing the recipe, so consider that fair warning. You’re going to want seconds. —Mary Kennedy Martin
For the salad and vinaigrette:
- 1 small to medium seedless watermelon
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
For the pickled onions:
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Cube the watermelon into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- To prepare pickled onions, thinly slice the onion, using mandoline for even cuts if you have one available.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining pickling ingredients and bring to rapid boil, then remove from the heat. Place the sliced onions in heat-proof jar and pour the liquid over to evenly coat. The onions should soften within 15 minutes, depending on thickness.
- In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly dress and the arugula to taste and toss, then place it in a serving dish. Top it with the cubed watermelon, crumbled cheese, and pickled onions. Finish with any remaining vinaigrette, if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Melon