If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm an avid reader of restaurant menus...they give me inspiration for creating recipes. While perusing the internet, I found a menu item for a melon and bacon salad which consisted of field greens, melons, bacon and feta cheese. There was no mention of how it was dressed, however. Totally inspired, I decided to take a simple spinach salad, add melon and dress it with a melon vinaigrette. I use cantaloupe in this one but I think it would be lovely with honeydew or honey rock melon. Sweet and salty, it's extremely refreshing! —inpatskitchen
Makes a large bowl of salad for 4 or more
For the melon vinaigrette
- 1 cup small cantaloupe cubes
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable or other neutral oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender or mini food processor and process until smooth. Refrigerate while making the salad.
For the salad
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves, larger stems removed
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked crisp and cut into one inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into smaller pieces
- 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 cups cantaloupe ( about a 3/4 inch dice)
- The previously made vinaigrette
- Toasted pecans (optional for garnish)
- Toss the spinach, bacon, onion and blue cheese together in a large salad bowl. Now, you can fold the melon cubes in to the bowl or plate the salad and add the melon cubes over each serving.
- If using the toasted pecans, place a few over each serving. Drizzle a few spoons of the vinaigrette over each serving and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Melon